Protests and campaigns at the G8 Leaders' Summits
The controversial issues discussed at the G8 Leaders’ Summits make it a significant platform for protesters and campaigners to air their views. Contended issues have included:
- George Bush’s refusal to sign the Kyoto treaty on carbon emissions
- The G8’s positive attitude towards globalisation
- The G8’s provision of aid, and plans for development and debt-relief in the developing world
- The United States’ role in the war in Iraq
- Moscow’s treatment of Georgia.
The G8 has drawn criticism from anti-globalisation campaigners, some of whom were involved in riots at the 2001 summit in Genoa, Italy.